The next step in improving the building consent system is underway, with both the construction sector and the public, being actively encouraged to have their say on how it could be improved.
Minister for Building and Construction, Dr Megan Woods, says “Following last year’s consultation, we have developed options to get a more efficient building consent system, that should minimise unnecessary delays in the building process.
“There are opportunities to improve the system, such as through better delivery of building consent services, removing barriers to alternative products being used.
“Any improvements to the building consent system that increase efficiency and provide greater certainty as to what can be built will help housing affordability, so it’s really important that those in the sector and the wider public feedback on what's proposed.
“Consultation on the paper is a key milestone in the Government’s response to the Commerce Commission’s Market Study into Residential Building Supplies.
“Potential reform options in the paper address several recommendations made by the Commission in its final report.
“Ensuring we enable timely processing of consents will help speed up the delivery ofhousing and other buildings. It is a critical part of the work we are doing to improve the efficiency of the sector,” Megan Woods says.
The public consultation opened on June 8 for total period of eight weeks, with submissions closing at 5pm on August 3, 2023.